Bookbird call for Postcard Book Reviews 2023 announced!
- Deadline: 1 August 2023
- Bookbird: A Journal of International Children’s Literature (ISSN 0006-7377) is the official refereed journal of the International Board on Books for Young People (IBBY). It is published quarterly and distributed by Johns Hopkins University Press.
Instructions for Contributions to Postcard Book Reviews for Bookbird
Contributions submitted for Bookbird Postcard book reviews should adhere to the following guidelines:
- Should be for children from preschool to young adults.
- May be reviews of picture books, novels, poetry, and nonfiction.
- May be for books in any language, but the reviews should be in English. Titles may be shown in the original language, with the English translation.
- Should be for books published in the last 1-2 years, although exceptions may be made for books from regions of the world or languages that are often overlooked or have few books published. (Before writing your postcards, you may want to check with me to ensure that the books have not already been reviewed previously.)
- Should be no more than 150 words in length, excluding publication information.
- Should include the following information in this order:
- Illustrator (if any)
- Translator (if any)
- City and country of publisher, publisher, publication date, number of pages
- Genre, age range of primary audience
- The review (150 words maximum—established by the editors of Bookbird)
- Your name (the reviewer)
- JPG (min. of 300 dpi) of cover photo should be attached separately.
- I will edit the postcards before submitting them to the editors of Bookbird, Petros Pannou and Janelle Mathis, who will select the ones to be published. Of course, if I have any questions, I will contact you for clarification about your review before submission to the editor.
- Deadlines for sending your contributions to me are: 1 August, 1 November, and 1 April. I will send out reminders approximately 4-6 weeks before those deadlines.