Imagine 2200: Climate Fiction Short Story Contest 2023 announced!
Deadline: 13 June 2023
Imagine 2200 is an invitation to writers from all over the globe to imagine a future in which solutions to the climate crisis flourish and help bring about radical improvements to our world. We dare you to dream anew. Submissions are now open for 2023/2024 Imagine 2200 climate fiction short story contest, celebrating the futures we want to see.
About the contest
- There is no cost to enter. Submissions close June 13, 2023, 11:59 p.m. U.S. Pacific Time.
- The winning writer will be awarded $3,000, with the second- and third-place winners receiving $2,000 and $1,000, respectively. An additional nine finalists will each receive $300. All winners and finalists will have their story published in an immersive collection on Grist’s website.
- Stories will be judged by a panel of literary experts, including acclaimed authors Paolo Bacigalupi, Nalo Hopkinson, and Sam J. Miller.
- Stories need to be between 3,000 and 5,000 words.
- We’re open to magical realism, spiritual elements, and supernatural twists, especially where they’re culturally significant.
- Writers must be at least 18 years old to submit to Imagine 2200. The contest is open to folks anywhere in the world, except where participation is prohibited or restricted by applicable law. Stories do need to be written in English. We do accept co-authored stories. Only one of the co-authors should submit the story — the submission form will offer a way to list the other co-author(s). If we select a co-authored story for publication, all authors will be credited and prize money will be divided between them.